While it has a time and a place, there is nothing more sexy and sophisticated as a pop of red on the lips. Sarah Simpson showcases her favourites along with her red lipstick commandments.
- Choose the right red. Within the spectrum of reds, there is an abundance of different tones to choose from, but the rule of thumb is: warm skin tones (golden, yellow based skin with green veins) will be better suited to a warm red which throws an orange hue of red, while cooler skin tones (pink based skin tone with blue veins) will love a cool red which has undertones of blue hues. Armed with this information, choosing the perfect shade just got a whole lot easier.
- Reach for the liner. While for many looks at the moment, lip liner has become slightly outdated, for a red lip, it's an essential. Not only will the pencil nail the right lip shape for you, filling in your lips with the pencil before adding the lipstick will give your colour more staying-power.
- Team the rest of your makeup to your lip. Done right, a red lip is just so right. Allow your statement lip to be the star of the show. Team it with a dewy, sheer slick of foundation and a barely there eye that has little more than a coat of mascara. This look is chic, on-trend not to mention youthful.
- Ensure your teeth are looking white. Stained teeth and red lips are not a match made in heaven. Keep on top of your whitening regime to ensure coffee and red wine stains are kept at bay.
- Vow to maintain your lippy. Rocking a red lip takes maintenance to ensure it keeps looking as slick as when you first applied. This is going to mean touch-ups during the day to keep the colour and lines sharp.
- Consider your outfit. Crisp white and black look stunning against a bold, red lip. The more simple the colour and outfit, the more classic and timeless your look will be.
The cool reds
Karen Murrell Lipstick in True Love, $30. Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet in Fascinate, $62. Jane Iredale Play On Lip Crayon in Naughty, $42. Max Factor Colour Elixir Lipstick in Ruby Tuesday, $28. MAC Lipstick in Ruby Woo, $42. Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Moisturising Matte Finish in Bold Red, $50.
The warm reds
YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick in Rouge Tuxedo, $65. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Certainly Red, $26. Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Harlow Red, $54. Lancôme L'Absolu Rouge Lipstick in Orange Sacree, $59. Estée Lauder Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Impassioned, $61. Burt's Bees Lip Crayon in Redwood Forest, $18.