Foundation has two jobs to cover imperfection and leave skin looking radiant. Editor Trudi Brewer highlights her pick of makeup with benefits.
If you don't like wearing makeup because it emphasises the tell-tale signs of ageing such as pooling in fine lines, or looking patchy at the end of the day - then you're not wearing the right formula. As we age, we need to update makeup we wear, in the same way we do with our skincare. What we need from the 'perfect finish' changes each season. Today makeup goes one step further than a skin tint, it offers UV protection, antioxidants and glow-getting ingredients. Here's how to get a flawless-looking finish - at any age.
30's: Foundation that contains an SPF is essential for maintaining skin clarity.
1. Post-summer you will need two foundation shades, one lighter and one darker than your natural skin tone. Skin is constantly changing colour, learn to create a customised shade by mixing more than one colour.
2. Liquid formulas are sheer and easy to blend, as well as being forgiving on skin with fine lines and blemishes. Blend a few drops on the back of your hand, before applying it to your face.
Elizabeth Arden PREVAGE Anti-Aging Foundation SPF30, $106. Shiseido Syncro Skin Lasting Liquid Foundation SPF 20, $69. Revlon Age Defying Firming Lifting Makeup SPF15, $48. Burt's Bees BB Cream SPF15, $33.
40's: Foundation rich in antioxidants should be the base you choose at this age.
1. Natural daylight is best for creating the perfect makeup finish or install bright, white light bulbs in your bathroom, which give the closest look to outdoor light, avoid warm yellow and cold fluorescent lights.
2. On areas of the face that need a little extra cover, spot-treat with concealer, or an extra layer of foundation. Choose a concealer that is exactly the same colour as your foundation.
Tom Ford Traceless Foundation SPF15, $140. BAREMINERALS bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation, $46. URBAN DECAY Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup, $72. Guerlain Mètèorites Baby Glow Illuminating Foundation SPF25, $89.
50's: Choose makeup with the added benefit of hyaluronic and salicylic acids for a hydrating, clarifying boost.
1. Foundation is designed to even out our skin tone, to cover blemishes and brown spots, not to look like a mask. Consider wearing less foundation all over the skin, and only strategically spot-cover imperfections to avoid a caked-looking result.
2. Mix a facial oil, serum or primer with your foundation to avoid it from highlighting dry spots and fine lines. Or if you have been heavy-handed, press a little facial oil over the top of your makeup once applied.
At any age: Concealer should be the finishing touch to your makeup. Stand back from the mirror and spot-treat any imperfections. and finish by buffing skin with a large fluffy brush to ensure makeup is well-blended.
1. Fingers are great tools for blending concealer and foundation together, spot-treat with a brush, and then blend with your fingertips.
2. For covering lines and wrinkles under the eyes, always mix concealer with a little eye cream this prevents concealer from pooling in lines.