I knew it would make a comeback. All it took was for recent fashion weeks across the globe to start sending models down the runway sporting shine - and boom; we have our next beauty trend for summer - glossy lips. Trudi Brewer shares her top tips and best buys.
I have been a gloss devotee for years now, but there is not doubting that it's tricky to keep in place. However, once you learn how, it is more youthful than a matte finish, and you can apply it on the go, without a mirror. Here are favourite nude shades and the best tips that I guarantee will encourage you to give it another go.
Shiseido Lacquer Gloss in BE102, $52. Max Factor Elixir Lipgloss in Radiant Rose, $26. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss, $28. Chantecaille Brilliant Gloss in Modern $60. bareMinerals Marvellous Moxie Lipgloss in Sparkplug, $30. Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Bold Liquid Lipstick in Daring Beige, $39.
1. Don't apply gloss all the way to the outside of the lip line, especially along the bottom lip. Always leave some room for it to move. This will ensure it doesn't slip past the lip line and bleed - until of course, you decide to eat something.
2. Go sheer with the shade, not bold and opaque. The darker the gloss, the harder it is to keep looking neat. A nude or neutral-pink looks great on everyone.
3. If you have fine lines around your mouth, lay down a waxy base of nude pencil first, and then choose a gloss colour that is the same hue as your skin tone. Then if bleeding occurs, it will be less obvious.
4. In summer prep lips first with Chapstick Lipbalm SPF15. Wearing lip gloss is like wearing oil on your body, so to prevent sun damage add a layer of sun protection underneath the gloss.
5. Finally, apply gloss and blot, don't rub your lips together, it pushes the gloss outward, which why it ends up bleeding.