If you're not across the importance of wearing a sunscreen every day, perhaps these beauty hacks will change your mind, says Trudi Brewer.
1. Applying an SPF of at least 30 or higher is as important as brushing your teeth, if you want a wrinkle and pigment-free complexion. These four beauty rules will help you protect skin from those punishing UV rays and preserve that precious complexion.
2. All sunglasses are not equal when it comes to sun protection. Unless you have an eye cream loaded with an SPF, or apply sunscreen on the upper eyelids (which lets face it only irritates the eyes) you need statement sunglasses. Always wear sunglasses with polarised lenses, and sadly mirror or reflective lenses are a no go. My beloved mirrored aviators are especially bad, as they reflect UV light onto the skin.
3. Don't wear lip gloss. This is a sacrifice we understand, even if your favourite contains sunscreen. While the SPF blocks out some of the UV rays, gloss wears off so fast and leaves lips naked and exposed to the sun. Anything shiny absorbs and reflects sunlight and will increase your risk of a burning. A trusted wax-based balm, stays put and will reduce your risk factor.
4. A hat is a summer staple and for UV protection, the bigger the brim, the better. A four-inch brim is your guarantee for the protecting the scalp and tops of the ears, both places most of us forget to apply sunscreen and the areas many skin cancers show up.
5. Look for a blend of physical and chemical ingredients in your sunscreen, and always choose a broad spectrum. This ensures your skin has a physical screen, deflecting the rays, and a chemical screen absorbing the extra UV rays, high summer.
5. Breaking news. A stand-out ingredient trend in the sun care market is vitamin B3 (also known as niacinamide or nicotinamide). “It has so many benefits to the skin when applied topically, including moisturising dry skin, improving the appearance of the tone and texture of skin and helping to maintain normal skin barrier function (just to name a few). Nicotinamide is also showing signs of significantly reducing the incidence of some skin cancers,” reveals Ego Pharmaceuticals Lauren Porter.
6. And finally get into the routine of applying sunscreen every day, under makeup. The focus for cancer societies around the world is education and innovation. Making sure sunscreen is the last thing you put on before you to step outside, is a great way to reduce your skin cancer risk and help protect skin from the signs of premature ageing. To ensure you get the sunscreen bug this summer, make sure you like the feel and smell of the sunscreen you choose.
Here are our summer essentials.
Natio Broad Spectrum Roll-On Sunscreen SPF 50+, $15. Aloe vera and vitamin E offers great moisture, while the roll-on delivers just enough cream for the perfect coverage.
Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream Sun Defense for Face SPF 50, $43. Lightweight, oil-free, and without leaving that nasty visible white residue, anything with the label Eight Hour Cream offers skin the ultimate protection come summer, and this tube works to screen UVA andUVB rays.
NIVEA Light Feel Daily Face Veil, $11. Sheer with a slightly mattifying finish, which means foundation sits perfectly on top without the risk of any your skin looking shiny.
Elizabeth Arden Prevage City Smart Broad Spectrum Hydrating Shield, $112. Is a sheer, hydrating SPF that contains tinted optical diffusers, anti-pollution ingredients and potent antioxidants that create a barrier to UV damage.
Jurlique Sun Specialist SPF 40 High Protection Cream PA, $58. Berry extracts, Shea butter and red and brown algae ticks this sunscreen is loaded with brilliant antioxidant benefits, which helps reduce the risk of sun damage.
Clarins Sunscreen Control Cream for Face Very High Protection SPF 30, $50. Doubles as a light moisturiser, while reducing the risk of UV damage.
Shiseido Perfect UV Protector, SPF 50+, $59. Water and perspiration-resistant, this is ideal for a day out on the water, boating or simply relaxing poolside.
Ultraceuticals SunActive SPF 50+ Face & Body Lotion 130ml $59. For sporty types, this fast-absorbing, lightweight sunscreen works for all skin types; offers high protection and brilliant antioxidants boost to boot.